03 March 2009

Dear PD and Iowa,


Once we all lived in Eugene. We hung out in the booths at Max’s, and linedanced at Rockin’ Rodeo, and ate ice cream even though it made Iowa sick, and occasionally wore evening gowns in the middle of the day.

We talked about a lot of things. We had those engrossing long girl-talks like some northwest smalltown version of Sex in the City, with a lot more fleece in our wardrobes and a lot more landscape architecture theory in our discourse. Towards the end we drove around Portland and imagined the awesome house we could buy, and how we would put a porch on the roof of the garage. Except then you both ruined the plan by falling in love with boys in different states, not that I’m bitter. But now I miss you.

And so, since we are now in perpetual catch-up, and since we are now all trying to write more, and since we are now all in our own ways trying to figure out what comes next, I thought maybe we could do a little project. You know, like the time we entered the intersection design competition. Except this time we would actually do something.

So my proposal is this blog. I scooped it up two and a half years ago (see post below) and stashed it away. And I like it for us, right now, because it is called pangram, which is a sentence with all the letters in it. And not leaving anything out seems to be a theme in all of our lives.

We could do it lots of ways. We could take turns proposing topics, or setting rules. We could respond to each other or not. My initial thoughts are that we would each post about once a week, and that it would be our personal takes on things but not journal-like, and that it would be public.

If we were all still in Eugene we could get in Iowa’s car right now and drive to the coast to talk about it while singing Michael Jackson. But this is the best I can think of, geography being what it is. What do you think?

4 comments:

humble bee said...

perfect.

humble bee said...

now i'll go hiking and play with newts and think of a topic to write about.

and maybe learn how to read the invitation to this blog in Dutch?

tortaluga said...

heh. i think i fixed the dutch thing. i was living in amsterdam when i started this blog.

rootstock said...

wahooozeee! I'm so in. The holoalphabetic is crazy cool, are we trying to write new ones ourselves? I wonder how often it happens unintentionally. ?

SO many topics....