1. President. (first grade) Gave this up by middle school, because I was never very popular, which seemed critical for winning votes. In retrospect, it was a good decision. I’m terrible at raising money and I wouldn’t like the scrutiny.
2. Stewardess. (third grade) Lasted about a year. I loved to fly and to travel. I don’t know why this one went away. I’m sure my parents wouldn’t have encouraged it.
3. Teacher. (always, and still) I have been a teacher, and I’d like to be one again.
4. Orthodontist. (fourth grade) I remember telling people it was what I wanted to be. I think I gave it up when I found out what it actually was. Good choice.
5. Physical Therapist. (seventh grade) This is what our standardized What You Should Be test told me to be. I was never that into it. But I think I’d actually be pretty happy if I had gone with it.
6. Journalist. (high school) Somewhere at the beginning of college, I got it in my head that I wanted to DO things rather than just WRITE about them. This was stupid. I’d love to be a journalist.
7. Herpetologist. (college) Studying herps in the field would have satisfied my sciencey bent. But I decided it would be too isolating, and also that I didn’t have it in me to get a PhD in something so specific.
8. Landscape Architect. (post-college) I picked landscape architecture for my master’s because it seemed like a combination of lots of things I love: science, art, people, cities. It sort of is, but it sort of isn’t.
9. Writer. (on and off since always) The problem is, I never really write anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i still want to be a teacher too.
me too.
Post a Comment